Friday, November 20, 2009

Is an itchy skin rash a side effect of consuming fish oil Omega 3 supplements?

My face and neck get an itchy dry skin rash. This started around the time I started taking the fish oil supplements. The question is that is this really a side effect of the supplements? I've read and read on the internet and have not found that to be any of the listed side effects. The sad thing is that in every other respect the supplements have been fantastic. My depression is mostly gone and I sleep somewhat better. But this rash is driving me crazy! Although cream does help a bit.





Do you have any suggestions for me? Is flax seed oil a real alternative to fish oil or are the benefits of flax more limited?





Appreciate input, thanks.

Is an itchy skin rash a side effect of consuming fish oil Omega 3 supplements?
Hmm.. sounds like it might be an allergic reaction to the supplements... I dont think that it's a common side effect but it definately could be for you if your body does not expect it. For depression you might want to try a B vitamin complex or yes another source of Omega's is Flaxseed oil... or Evening Primrose Oil
Reply:Possibly your supplement contains something you're allergic to: soy, milk, wheat, gluten, etc. Check the label. I have done lots of research on fish oil in the past and can not think of any reason why you should be breaking out. Flax oil would not be a good alternative, b/c the omega 3 ALA does not convert well to EPA %26amp; DHA. Flax seed oil and flax seed can still be beneficial to your health, but not as a substitute to fish oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment